Start a new topic

How to share a video I subtitled?

I've subtitled a video from YouTube (not my account). How can I share it?

1 person has this problem

Hi Sandra,

In the left navigation bar of the Amara pages for a video, there are sharing buttons for  twitter and facebook, and there is also a link for getting an embed code you can use on a web site and on some blogging platforms.

You can also contact the person who uploaded the video on YouTube and suggest s/he adds your subtitles to the original video.
To contact the uploader, click on his/her YT user name, then on the About tab: you'll find a "Send Message" link.
To explain how to add your subtitles to his/her video, you can give the link to http://support.amara.org/support/solutions/articles/10336-how-do-i-manually-add-subtitles-to-youtube-.
However, if the uploader does not speak English, it might be easier to offer to send the subtitle file via e-mail, and refer to the YT "Add Captions" Help topic https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734796 , where s/he'll be able to change languages via the drop list bottom right.
Last thing: I wouldn't do that if the uploader is a big music or film producer, because some are on the war path against volunteer subtitling, which they consider as a violation of their copyright. See Swedish Rights Holders Order Police Raid To Shut Down Fan Translation Site (Techdirt, July 10, 2013).

But how I can link the video and sent it via e-mail?

Hi Anita

Sometimes people put an email contact address in the About tab of their YouTube channel. But if they don't, you'll have to send the link to the Amara page where you made the captions / subtitles via YouTube messaging, also available from that About tab.

Best,

Claude Almansi

I don't think you completely answered the question and I have the same one. I want to give people a link -- I can't embed, I just want to give them a link -- that they can use to view the video. I don't want them to have to log in, or even see the caption editing stuff, just the video with captions. Is that not possible?

Apologies for the belated reply, Beth Case: somehow the email notification for your post escaped me, sorry.

If you give people a link to the Amara page of the subtitled video, then they can edit the captions: that's how Amara is meant to work, on the Wikipedia model. 

However, you add to the video description a request not to edit the captions. If they nevertheless edit them, you can always roll back the subtitles  to your own version.

Moreover:

1. If the original video is yours and you've published it yourself online, you can add your Amara subtitles to the original video and link to the latter.
  2. If the original video is yours but you used a copy published online by someone else, you can ask this person to add your Amara subtitles to the original video, then you can  link to the latter.
  3. If the original video is not yours, then on what ground would you limit what people can do with the captions? 

Best,

Claude

I'm using Amara as a way to provide captions to deaf students so they can have access to uncaptioned, or poorly captioned videos, inYouTube. I would prefer to not have all the clutter of other things on the page which are not relevant since the deaf student isn't going to be editing captions. I'm not trying to keep people from editing or "limit what people can do with the captions", I just want a simple way to show the captioned version of the video to deaf students. Isn't making videos accessible what Amara is about? 

Yes, making videos accessible to deaf people is what Amara is about. 

What I meant is that in the 8 years (and 2 days) I have been using Amara to this end, also as admin of 2 teams, I have very rarely encountered issues caused by the collaboration capability. A juvenile idiot once replaced the Spanish subtitles (not captions) of a very popular video with vulgarities. Once in a while  new users translate over the original captions instead of creating a subpage for translation, but it is extremely easy to revert such errors to the original version.

So you could really just give your students the URL for the Amara page of the video, say like this: https://amara.org/en/videos/OkMSm65jza1l/info/harold-pinter_no-mans-land_bolsova-street-directions/. By default, the original captions will show - even if there are translated subtitles in other languages. As a precaution, you can follow the videos you share with your students: this way, you'll be notified of any change made to their captions / subtitles.

Best,

Claude

You've completely misunderstood my issue. It has nothing to do with collaboration or letting other people edit the captions. It has nothing to do with fearing that someone has screwed up the captions. It's 100% about just wanting to show captioned videos to deaf students in a clean and uncluttered way. Ideally, I could just send them to a page where all they see is the video with captions. It could have a link to the other page if they want to edit. But apparently, that's not an option at this time. It's still a great tool, but I think the experience of the end user, the consumer of the captions, people who aren't going to do edits because they can't hear the audio, could use a bit more attention. 

Apologies for misunderstanding you:  the deaf people I've collaborated with/for on Amara did not find the main page for captioned videos cluttered. They just clicked on the play button to view the captioned video.

If for some reason your students have issues with this, they could try Yash Agarwal's Subtitles for YouTube Chrome extension, which "also  supports searching and using subtitles directly from OpenSubtitles.org and Amara.org".

Best

Claude

Login or Signup to post a comment