Start a new topic

Video Speed Control

Has anyone found a speed control plugin that works with Amara?  It's so tedious to caption when you have to start and stop the video all the time!  I've tried several, and they work with YouTube, Quill, everything but Amara.  I'm on Chrome.  Any suggestions?

2 people have this problem

Thanks Christina, I was not aware of these speed control plugins.

My guess is that their not working with Amara has something to do with the way the original videos are embedded in Amara pages. Do yours work on videos embedded in other web pages, or do you have to go to the original? Could you try also with other subtitling platforms, for instance DotSub or Subtitle Horse, and then refer the results here?

Thank you in advance,

Claude Almansi

The plugin does work with other subtitling platforms, just not Amara. I have not tried other open source subtitling programs, however, as Amara was the first one that I found, and I have been happy with it otherwise. The plugin I typically use is called Video Speed Controller.  It has customizable hotkeys, which is nice, as well as adjustable speed settings.  It looks like this:

Is there a way to control the speed within Amara? Because it is so helpful when captioning to be able to do that.  And synching goes so much smoother if you can speed the video up a bit. Thanks!

Somehow, my previous post did not go through. The speed control plugin does work with other subtitling platforms, so I'm not sure why it doesn't work with Amara.  The one I use most often is called Video Speed Controller; its icon looks like a red fast-forward button. It has adjustable hotkeys, which is nice, and the speed can be varied.  It is the best one I've found.

What a great plugin, thanks! I've added it to Firefox. However, as you say, it does not work on any video streamed in Amara (whether from YT or from a video file).

On DotSub, it doesn't work on streamed  YT videos , though it works with uploaded or streamed mp4 videos

On Subtitle Horse, it doesn't work on streamed  YT videos though it works with streamed mp4 videos

It does not work on YT videos embedded in a web page, (e.g. the video in https://iamarf.org/2011/04/15/assignment-6-letteratura-scientifica-3/)

Not sure what to make of these facts, though. But it is certainly an important point. Would you create a ticket about it, please? If you do, I can view it, but if I do, you can't. (update: I had forgotten that if I convert our topic to a ticket, we'll both be able to see the ticket: so I've done it - see below)

Best,

Claude

HI Cristina,

We're having a rather hiccuppy exchange, due to our posts getting published with a delay. So I've converted your topic to a ticket #84437 of which you should have received an email notification.  It will go directly to AMara's tech staff, who can answer you and request further info.

Thank you again for this tpic.

Claude

Thanks, Claude! It is tedious trying to converse while waiting for post approval. I'm glad you tried the plugin on other platforms. Interesting that it works with an uploaded file on those, but not Amara. Maybe support can shed some light on why for us. It would be so great if we could use that. Transcription just goes so much smoother when we can slow down the speaker a bit. And I usually sync in double time, so that makes the project complete faster as well.
My pleasure, Christina. Actually, the posts in this forum do not require approval: I can just delete inappropriate ones. But the whole support is actually hosted on freshdesk, so perhaps the freshdesk server was being maxed out.

I do hope Amara's tech staff an find a way to make the speed control browser plugins work.

Best,

Claude

Weird: all my posts say "your post will appear in the thread following approval". It usually takes an hour or so. I hope they can get it to work, too. Thanks for your help!
Thank you so much, Cristina: I was unaware of this. I have written to Amara staff asking them to either explain to me how to remove this moderation, or to remove it themselves if the removal entails higher tech privileges than those I have.

Best,

Claude

Login or Signup to post a comment