Vimeo Subtitle Synchronization

Amara users and teams can now be linked to Vimeo accounts! After linking a Vimeo account with an Amara user or team, subtitles will automatically sync between Amara and Vimeo. It works similarly to the current YouTube integration with Amara. Let us know if you have any questions or feedback by responding to this post!

Contents:

If you are an individual Amara user...If you are an admin of an Amara team...Privacy and special considerations

If you are an individual Amara user...

To enable crowd subtitles on your personal Vimeo account, connect it to your Amara user account:

1. User menu > Profile

2. Accounts tab

3. Vimeo sync > Connect to Vimeo

Note: at this time, only one Vimeo account can be connected per Amara user.

Once your Vimeo account is connected to your Amara user account:

When you add a video from your Vimeo account to Amara, we import the subtitles for this video from Vimeo.

We export the subtitles to your videos to Vimeo whenever they are completed on Amara.

Changes made on Vimeo won't be reflected on Amara and may be overwritten. Use Amara to edit subtitles.

There are a couple of places you can check for any syncing issues and resync any subtitles that did not properly export to Vimeo:

The Vimeo Sync section of your user profile > accounts tab

The Sync History tab for a specific set of subtitles

If you are an administrator of an Amara team...

To connect one or more Vimeo accounts to your Amara team:

1. Enter your team by selecting it from the user menu

2. Click the Settings header menu item

3. Select Integrations from the Settings header dropdown

4. Under Vimeo, click “add Vimeo account”

Please note: we currently support linking up to 5 Vimeo accounts to one Amara team. If you link more, the connection may time out - please contact us if you need to link more Vimeo accounts.

Once a Vimeo account is connected to the team:

When you add a video from your Vimeo account to Amara, we import the subtitles for this video from Vimeo. This can be disabled by unchecking the “fetch initial subtitles” box.

We export the subtitles to your videos to Vimeo whenever they are completed on Amara. This can be disabled by unchecking the “sync subtitles from Amara to Vimeo” box.

Changes made on Vimeo won't be reflected on Amara and may be overwritten. Use Amara to edit subtitles.

You can also apply the same import/export behavior to other Amara teams of which you are an admin, by selecting them from the list under “sync subtitles for videos from these teams.”

Please note: we currently support linking up to 5 teams; if you link more, the connection may time out - please contact us if you need to link more teams.

Checking for syncing issues and resyncing

Subtitles imported from Vimeo will appear on the Subtitle Details page as “imported with video” by “Amara Bot.” 

There are a couple of places you can check for any syncing issues and resync any subtitles that did not properly export to Vimeo.

The Vimeo Sync section of your team settings > integrations page

The Sync History tab for a specific set of subtitles

Privacy and Special Considerations

For public Vimeo videos, initial subtitles on Vimeo are imported to Amara, and metadata (title, description, thumbnail) is imported when public Vimeo videos are added to Amara. For private Vimeo videos, the same will work only if the Vimeo account owns the video.

Vimeo supports adding both a Subtitles and Captions track for the same language. When Amara imports subtitles from Vimeo, it only recognizes the Subtitles track. When Amara exports subtitles to Vimeo, they are added as a Subtitles track.

Currently, we do not support re-importing subtitle tracks from Vimeo to Amara after the video is added to Amara.

Thank you, Kenzie!

Just a few questions about individual users' syncing their Amara account to their Vimeo channel:

1. Would it be possible to create a resource page for this Vimeo syncing, on the model of the Syncing to YouTube page (i.e. with only the part about individual users), and then link this potential "Syncing to Vimeo" page in the popup that gets triggered when you click the "Connect to Vimeo" button in the Account page, in the way that happens when you click the "Connect to YouTube" button?
  2. Could such a potential "Syncing to Vimeo" resource page also explain how to turn off the Vimeo syncing?
  3. When a video of the synced Vimeo account is not fully public (i.e. "Only people I follow can see this video" or "Only people with a password can see this video" or "Only people I choose can see this video" or "Only people with a private link can see this video"):
    - will the automatically created corresponding Amara video page and subtitles added to it have the same degree of restriction,
    - or will they be publicly viewable and indexable by search engines, even though the streamed video itself only works for authorized people?
  4. Will individual users have control over the Amara -> Vimeo subtitle transfer, or will this transfer be automatic once a subtitle set is marked complete/published?

Thank you in advance for replying to these questions: they are based on issues raised in this forum when Syncing to YouTube was first enabled.

Best,

Claude

1. great idea - we'll update that and post here when it's done.
2. do you mean something other than unlinking the Vimeo account from the Amara user or team?

3. We're actually increasing the granularity of our Amara-side privacy settings now, but I will answer based on the current setup:

- Vimeo privacy for a video determines what it looks like in the video player, no matter where it is embedded (Amara or Vimeo).

- Amara privacy for a video determines the visibility of imported subtitles, metadata and thumbnails.

eg. a video that is private on Vimeo, but public on Amara: in Amara, its subtitles and metadata would be visible on the Amara video details and subtitle details pages, as well as publicly viewable and indexable by search engines. The video would not play in the player though.

4. the transfer is automatic once a subtitle set is marked complete.

We'll update the Knowledge Base article to make (3) clearer too.

Thanks,

Kenzie

Thank you for your explanations, Kenzie. With 2., I only meant "unlinking the Vimeo account from the Amara user or team". Will there be a "Disconnect" button in the Account page, as with the YouTube syncing?

Best,

Claude

Yes, the Disconnect button shows up once you have an account linked. We'll make sure that's on the resource page. Thanks!

Thank you, Kenzie.

I see there is now a resource page: https://support.amara.org/support/solutions/articles/230561-vimeo-subtitle-synchronization.

1. It does not yet give the info about the "Disconnect" button, but I suppose this can be easily added?
  2. Also, its present title "Vimeo Subtitle Synchronization" might be misleading. What about something like "Syncing Vimeo and Amara accounts"? (and btw, the  title of https://support.amara.org/support/solutions/articles/40227-syncing-to-youtube resource could also be  changed to "Syncing YouTube and Amara accounts")
  3. Then the resource about Vimeo-Amara syncing is presently in the What's New in Amara subcategory, whereas the one about YouTube-Amara syncing is in the How-tos subcategory. Will it be easy to move the one about Vimeo-Amara syncing to the How-tos subcategory once it is no longer news?  After all, it's not as if these subcategories were traditional subtirectories reflected in their URLs.
  4. Moreover, the resource about Vimeo-Amara syncing comprises info for team admins, whereas the one about YouTube-Amara syncing does not. Shouldn't this info for team admins be in both or neither?
  5. Nevertheless, about "Subtitles imported from Vimeo will appear on the Subtitle Details page as “imported with video” by “Amara Bot.”" in the part for team admins: is this also true for
    a) YouTube-Amara team syncing?
    b) for both YouTube-Amara and Vimeo-Amara individual user's syncing?
I'm asking 5b because formerly, existing YouTube subtitles were automatically imported to Amara even when the Amara page was simply created via the Subtitle a Video form: see for instance the Activities of the "YouTube Copyright School" Amara page I created via Subtitle a Video: all original revisions of the 30 subtitle sets were originally created 09/22/2011 by Amara Bot, i.e user 10000, back then labeled "Retired user".
There is a valid copyright motive to have stopped this automatic subtitle import for Amara pages created via the Subtitle a Video form: though people could theoretically go to the URLs tab to find the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InzDjH1-9Ns video, and thus find out that it and its subtitles belong to YouTube Spotlight, but it is a bit long-winded.
However, this copyright motive would not obtain in the case of individual user's syncing, as it can only be implemented by users who are owners of the YouTube or Vimeo channel.

Best,

Claude

Hi Claude,

Sorry for my delayed response here.

1, 2. this has been added to the Vimeo resource page, now labeled Syncing Vimeo and Amara accounts - it seems clearer to me at the moment, but if we hear from others that it is somehow confusing, we might adjust. In our quest to better organize the KB, we've decided to move toward large articles that explain everything about an integration, for example, "Vimeo integration" which would include everything Vimeo-related. Seems sensible in some cases to do a combination with small resource pages as you suggested, like Vimeo syncing for only individual users and Vimeo syncing for teams, but not sure where that line is. What if the modals for team and individual user Vimeo syncing both had a link to the same Syncing Vimeo and Amara accounts resource page?

In the meantime, I changed the title of the YouTube syncing resource page as well.

3. Yes, these are easy to move. Just moved the Vimeo resource page to How-tos.

4. We are thinking both, since as I mentioned above it seems to make more sense to combine into larger resource articles. We're currently working on a more comprehensive YouTube article that covers team syncing too.

5. Imported by Amara Bot does also show for YouTube syncing (team and individual). Starting a ticket for the copyright question with the Subtitle a Video form as input from others on staff would be helpful.

Thanks for your patience, Claude!

Oh, thank you. This is a discussion of what we were really looking for. I got a lot of help.

You could find resources from internet.

Thank you,mnnn. However, in this case, it is simpler to follow the indications given by Kenzie, who is an Amara tech staff person.

Best,

Claude

Login or Signup to post a comment