I: Downloading subtitles from Amara
You must download subtitles from Amara to your computer in VTT format.
If you are not yet familiar with submitting and subtitling videos on Amara, you can find instructions at the links below:
There are three steps to downloading subtitles from an Amara video to your computer:
1. Navigate to the Video tab on your selected video’s page.
2. From the list of available languages on the left-hand side, select the subtitle language you wish to download.
This will bring you to the language page.
3. click Download Subtitles and select VTT format from the drop-down list:
The selected subtitles will be downloaded to your computer.
II: Uploading subtitles to Vimeo
There are 10 steps to uploading your subtitles to Vimeo. To add captions or subtitles to one of your videos, log into your Vimeo account and:
- In the menu at the top of the page, click Videos item. This will bring you to the list of your uploaded videos.
- Locate the video to which you want to add captions or subtitles, and click it. This will open the video page.
- Click Settings button to open Video Settings page:
- Click Advanced button to access the advanced settings for the video:
- Under Add Captions & Subtitles header, click Choose a Captions File to Upload button. Select the .VTT file you've downloaded from Amara.
- The name of the uploaded file will appear in the list of available subtitles:
Select Captions (if your file contains a transcript of the video) or Subtitles (if you have uploaded a translation of the video into another language) from Type drop-down.
- Choose the appropriate language.
- Check the box to the left from the file name.
- Click Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.