Start a new topic

Ogg conversion very bad quality

Is there any way to adjust the settings of ogg theora? It's coming out looking like 8-bit and super lo res.

9 people have this problem

hi

i am converting mov to mp4. but the audio quality is very bad. Any solution for the high quality audio of the mp4 video??

I've contacted them about this and never got a resolution.

So ... they're definitely aware of the issue.

Windows and mac latest versions are equally bad at converting to Ogg Theora.  This is a deal breaker.

A google search for 'miro video converter older versions' includes links to older downloads. I'm off to test just now.

Hi - I have filed a ticket in bugzilla for this.  With the latest version we switched to using the ffmpeg conversion as opposed to using ffmpegtotheora.

Can anyone suggest a better conversion command so that we can get this fixed?

Here is the current command that we are using: ffmpeg -i {input} -f ogg -vn -acodec libvorbis -aq 60

Grr...This is like the only software that I can find that will actually convert video to .ogv but the "quality" is just terrible.

I've the same problem. Trying to convert a .mov (1.22 GB, 1440x1080, 2.25 min vid) to oog theora.

With the same results described above. Screen shots from source video and oog result are attached.

test_oog.jpg
(153 KB)
test_mov.jpg
(181 KB)
Worked for me - thx!

Perhaps we could actually get a response from Miro Support crew in here?!?!

I've got the same problem, OGG quality is really bad. Please can someone take a look at this issue?

Could you guys fix this? In your previous version of Miro, it worked fine. Now it's broken. Since Firefox needs OGG Theora video, this is a very important function. I'd be happy to make a donation if you can fix this. Thanks.

Hi Phil,
thanks a lot for this comment. I've tried this and your are absolutely right. It works well. I have only one thing to mention: The filesize of my Demo-Video increased by 277% (2.2 MB to 6.1 MB).
But as you mentioned, i'll have to play around with the qualitysettings.

Here's a quick solution for Windows users who are frustrated by this issue, but don't want to recompile the application from source.

Create a new text file and name it OGG_Vid.bat

Edit the file and paste in this code:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Participatory Culture Foundation\Miro Video Converter\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe" -i %1 -codec:v libtheora -qscale:v 7 -codec:a libvorbis -qscale:a 5 %2

Save the file

Open command line (cmd.exe)
Drag in OGG_Vid.bat
Type one space

Drag in the source video
Type one space
Type in some output file name: output.ogv

Command should look similar to this (if your files are all on the desktop): 

C:\Users\YOU\Desktop\OGG_Vid.bat C:\Users\YOU\Desktop\input.avi C:\Users\YOU\Desktop\output.ogv

Press Enter

This will run the ffmpeg install included with Miro but set the quality levels higher. If you want to mess with the quality levels you can simply modify the numbers after the "qscale" parameter in the .bat file. I've included the file I created for this as well.

bat
(167 Bytes)

maybe you can try some other audio or video conversion software that can convert video to MP3 or MP4 or other types formats with least loss of quality to ensure the audio bitrate.

I've submitted a pull request (https://github.com/pculture/mirovideoconverter3/pull/24) if anyone wants to follow along.

From the libtheora documentation:

-qscale:v – video quality. Range is 0–10, where 10 is highest quality. 5–7 is a good range to try. If you omit -qscale:v (or the alias -q:v) then ffmpeg will use the default -b:v 200k which will most likely provide a poor quality output.

Login or Signup to post a comment