Start a new topic

Ogg conversion very bad quality

Is there any way to adjust the settings of ogg theora? It's coming out looking like 8-bit and super lo res.

9 people have this problem

Hi there,
i am having the same Problem. I converted from one big video to different formats (mp4, ogv and webm) for a website. The bitrate of ogv is very bad what leads to a bad video quality. Is there a way to configure Miro? Maybe a way with console?

Edit: I handed in a ticket, no reply yet.

I've contacted them about this and never got a resolution.

So ... they're definitely aware of the issue.

I've got the same problem, OGG quality is really bad. Please can someone take a look at this issue?

Could you guys fix this? In your previous version of Miro, it worked fine. Now it's broken. Since Firefox needs OGG Theora video, this is a very important function. I'd be happy to make a donation if you can fix this. Thanks.

Perhaps we could actually get a response from Miro Support crew in here?!?!

This problem did not occur in V 2.6, so I reverted to using that.

Seems like a bug.

Mac Pro, OSX V 10.7.5, 2x2.66Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, SSD hard drive.

I've the same problem. Trying to convert a .mov (1.22 GB, 1440x1080, 2.25 min vid) to oog theora.

With the same results described above. Screen shots from source video and oog result are attached.

test_oog.jpg
(153 KB)
test_mov.jpg
(181 KB)

Hi - I have filed a ticket in bugzilla for this.  With the latest version we switched to using the ffmpeg conversion as opposed to using ffmpegtotheora.

Can anyone suggest a better conversion command so that we can get this fixed?

Here is the current command that we are using: ffmpeg -i {input} -f ogg -vn -acodec libvorbis -aq 60

Grr...This is like the only software that I can find that will actually convert video to .ogv but the "quality" is just terrible.

Hi,

I have the same Problem. Can anyone tell me where I can get Miroconverter Version 2.6. so i can make Ogg Theroa in good quality?

Thanks for Info

Windows and mac latest versions are equally bad at converting to Ogg Theora.  This is a deal breaker.

A google search for 'miro video converter older versions' includes links to older downloads. I'm off to test just now.

In this directory/Terminal:
cd /Applications/Miro Video Converter.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/mvc
Edited this file:
open -e basicconverters.py

After these lines:
class OggTheora(converter.FFmpegConverterInfo):
  media_type = 'format'
  extension = 'ogv'
I replaced:
  parameters = '-f ogg -vcodec libtheora -acodec libvorbis -aq 10'
With:
   parameters = '-f ogg -vcodec libtheora -c:v libtheora -c:a libvorbis -q:v 4'

Then ran python -m compileall .  in that directory in Terminal.app.

Then I quit and re-started the Miro Video Converter.app ... Now I get better quality OggTheora ...
(I actually also replaced ffmpeg in the Helpers dir with my own binary, but I don't think mattered, as I had the same problem until I changed the config.)

I guess you can play around with quality, I assume q:v is video quality, and that 10 is best.
So another example could be: -c:v libtheora -q:v 7 -c:a libvorbis -q:a 3 filename2.ogv

Hi Phil,
thanks a lot for this comment. I've tried this and your are absolutely right. It works well. I have only one thing to mention: The filesize of my Demo-Video increased by 277% (2.2 MB to 6.1 MB).
But as you mentioned, i'll have to play around with the qualitysettings.

Login or Signup to post a comment