Start a new topic
Answered

Questions regarding the On Demand team

Good evening,

I am a French student in maths and physics and I have been translating TED conferences for a few months now. As I am fond of translating, I could be interested in joining the Amara On Demand team. Would it be possible to have clarifications I cannot find on the website? 

Translating operations

- Are translators working in teams?
- What kind of content is received?

- Can translators choose what they translate?

Working schedules and consistency

- Is it possible to work part-time or to have an adapted schedule?

- Is it alright not to have more than a few available hours a week?
- Can translators choose when they want to start projects?

Requirements

- Is it necessary to have internationally known certifications?

- Is it necessary to have a professional translating experience?

Others

- Does the team need more members during summer?

- If you are in the team, how does this job makes you feel?

I would be very thankful to anyone who can give me any answer, or any information you think would interest me. Thank you very much in advance and have a wonderful Easter week-end!

Sincerely,

Guillaume Rouy

Best Answer

Bonjour, Guillaume,

I was shortly in the Amara On Demand team:. Several years ago. The 2 videos I translated subtitles for were interesting, and I liked discovering the rigid norms of industry customers - but it was way more solitary work than say, on the TED team, back then. This may have changed since, though.

As to your other questions, maybe you could fill an application ( from https://amara.org/en/recruitment/ )? You will then be contacted by the staff person in charge of the On Demand team, who will likely suggest an online conversation via Skype (or other: it was Skype when I applied). They'll be able to answer you.  You can then decide after this conversation.

Best,

Claude

Answer

Bonjour, Guillaume,

I was shortly in the Amara On Demand team:. Several years ago. The 2 videos I translated subtitles for were interesting, and I liked discovering the rigid norms of industry customers - but it was way more solitary work than say, on the TED team, back then. This may have changed since, though.

As to your other questions, maybe you could fill an application ( from https://amara.org/en/recruitment/ )? You will then be contacted by the staff person in charge of the On Demand team, who will likely suggest an online conversation via Skype (or other: it was Skype when I applied). They'll be able to answer you.  You can then decide after this conversation.

Best,

Claude

2 people like this

Erratum

- If you are in the team, how does this job make you feel?

Login or Signup to post a comment