The Amara Subtitling Blog discussion

If you want to hear all the latest announcements for what’s new in the Amara community be sure to visit the Amara Subtitling Blog.

The Amara Subtitling Blog has updates on Community, Accessibility & Translation news featuring new languages added to Amara, volunteer spotlights, team resources, release notes and accessibility highlights. 

Amara Features and the Amara Changelog share all the latest additions to the Amara Platform and the Amara Editor for making subtitles even easier. You can also subscribe to get email notifications of new posts.

Check it out and let us know what you think in this discussion forum.

• Are there topics you want to see more of on the blog?

• Ways you find the blog posts useful, interesting or inspiring?

• Do you have ideas about how we can make our blog better?

We would love to hear your ideas!

1 person likes this

hi

1 person likes this

Thank you for your question, Kevin Stroot.

There is no option to indicate the video frame speed in Amara, if that's what you mean by "type the time frame". 

On the other hand, if you mean "type the time codes" that sync the subtitles with the videos: the Amara tool lets you insert the start and end time codes via buttons and/or keyboard shortcuts.

I hope this helps

Claude

1 person likes this

I'm new here kindly explain like I just have to add lines and it will automatically adjust the time frame or I have to type the time frame as well for the subs? I use Tamara for my work of book report services and I have a lot of written content of videos. Yes, of course, I gave credit and references to videos always. 

Thank you for your question, Thomas Prosiliakos.

When you make subtitles with the Amara tool, you can simply download them to your pc by using the Download tab of the subtitles page. It opens a drop list of formats from which you can choose the one you want.

Best,

Claude

hi I am not good at these... I made subtitling on a video end I put it in clipboard .How can I copy it in my pc ?

Thank you for your tactful questions Luisella.

Indeed, if the EN>IT task was unassigned, this means that the former person who picked it was not able to complete it within the deadline. So now, you can finish it.

Best

Claude

Hi, I am about to start translating my first TEDtalk (EN>IT). The video I chose is marked as "unassigned" but it shows a draft, an incomplete Italian version so I am not sure what this means; did the previous translator give up? can I carry on?  Also, there is no available fb page for Italian translators and no Italian language coordinators can be reached. Could you please help?

Thank you for your query, azheen najmadin. unfortunately I am unable to answer you.

please create a ticket: It will go to Amara's tech staff who will answer you.

Best,

Claude Almansi

I recently translated a tedx video to my language and reviewing and approving have been finished but still it has not been published on youtube and tedtalk account. what shall I do?

Thank you for your question, Stephanie. 

If you are subtitiling within a team, the team may have more detailed guidelines than the general Amara ones. What follows is based on a few years of collaborative subtitling.

I use straight double quotes, but you could use slanted quotes if you prefer: they are supported in the simple text used in subtitles.

If it is a long quotation, spanning several captions, watchers need to be reminded they are still within the quotation, so I use italics which you can produce via an asterisk before and after. Alternatively, you can repeat the opening quotes at the beginning of each subtitle, with end quotes at the end of the quoted passage. Like this:

"how do you indicate that a speaker
is quoting another person?

"Should I use parenthesis?

"or slanted quotation marks
or straight quotation marks?

"pls help!"

Best

Claude

how do you indicate that a speaker is quoting another person? should I use parenthesis? or slanted quotation marks or straight quotation marks?`` pls help!

hii

Good question, Jake. Just a surmise: lack of staff. 

If you wish to comment on a blog post but can't, you can always discuss such a post  in this forum, linking to it.

Best

Claude

Why we can't comment on all the blog posts?

Thank you for sharing rieanne

Login or Signup to post a comment